The New Hipster Zeitgeist: Cultural Appropriation
Okay. I am going to take a long deep breath before I get too angry and start pounding on my keyboard. Alright, here we go.
Cultural appropriation - the adoption of some specific elements of one culture by a different cultural group.
I can’t be the only one that has noticed the vast growth of cultural appropriation in hipster culture. Go to any Urban Outfitters, look through some Tumblr blogs only to find a picture with over 20,000 notes of white girls wearing bindis and saris, talking about “appreciating the culture” or telling people of color, “Hey! Take it as a compliment!” … Uh, what?
We’ve got another picture coming up, some more white teenage girls with 50,000+ in war bonnets and face paint—“I am transethnic; born white but inside I am Native. Wearing this war bonnet and face paint makes me feel so much more connected to my inner-culture.” Again… seriously? This is a thing?
Let me break it down a bit here. It is especially hard to be a socially aware person, and move past the UC Santa Barbara white girl tribes at Coachella (which, actually happened. My girlfriend was an eye-witness), just to think, “Well, they probably don’t know any better. They’ll learn soon enough!”
But what if they don’t? How can one follow the fashion trends without being culturally appropriative? Where do we draw the line when it comes to appreciating a culture, or appropriating the culture?
Here are a few pointers:
- Basically, on less wordy terms, cultural appropriation is perpetuating caricatures of a culture that is still living, which is often foolish representation of it entirely.
- Wearing a bindi as a piece of jewelry or as a type of body modification is cultural appropriation. When a dominant culture takes from a marginalized group of people, that is otherwise sacred, becomes offensive. So when a white girl wears a bindi, she’s tampering with the meaning of the jewelry, which has been known to indicate marital status, a good luck symbol, to help increase concentration around the Indian regions.
- Don’t wear saris. It definitely holds significance as a garment, as it represents “the sentry of a woman’s dignity.”
- In regards to henna tattoos, here’s excellent commentary: http://thisisnotjapan.tumblr.com/post/29013569226/foxski-thisshitaintpagan
- Putting on a yukata, kimono, hakama, which is known as traditional Japanese clothing is cultural appropriation. It has been increasingly coming about, especially with such “fans” like Gwen Stefani and her Harajuku Girls, and even Lady Gaga. Trotting around with chopsticks in your hair and dressing up like a geisha exotifies Japanese women and does not accurately depict Japanese culture/people, so you probably shouldn’t do that.
- Native American appropriation, the biggest one of them all. For you hipsters out there, please take some notes.
- War bonnets: They’re not worn by women, they’re worn by honored Plains Indian men, sometimes out to battle or for ceremonial purposes. They host a lot of spiritual significance, as it is supposed to protect the wearer in a time of battle. Determining on the amount of feathers one has on the war bonnet, or headdress, shows through brave deeds done, and were hard to obtain. Speaking generally, as not specific to certain Tribes (because there are over 200!), this is the general roundabout.
- Face paint and singe boots/moccasins: Pretty self explanatory.
- Basically, wearing anything related to Native American culture, especially if you’re white, comes across as being culturally insensitive, and is like a mockery set out to romanticize Natives. Believing that Natives are monolithic and uphold totems, dream catchers, cute turquoise jewelry, and sweat lodges is an incredibly inaccurate depiction, and one should never over-generalize.
- Latin American appropriation: Dia de Los Muertos sugar skull face paint, “Aztec” print, “tribal” print.
- Dia de los Muertos, as most of you know, is a celebrated tradition all throughout Mexico to celebrate the lives of those who have passed. The skulls have remained true to the Aztec tradition and have since then, been a ritual that Spanish conquistadors tried to eradicate and has been a custom of indigenous folks for the past 3,000 years. Traditional Mexican families pay homage to their lost loved ones in a huge fiesta that brings together prayers, food, and social gatherings. The skulls, henceforth, represented death and rebirth. Wearing the sugar skull face paint mocks this entire tradition.
- “Aztec” print. Alright, this is getting me a little upset. In places like Urban Outfitters and Forever 21 there’s a trend that falls under the whole “Aztec” / “tribal” print thing. It’s quite neglectful that such industries tend to associate all things that have triangular and dotted designs to be “Aztec”, while a lot of different tribes are still out there today, practicing their patterns that are specific to THEIR tribe. There is a huge difference between Afrikaans tribal art and those of Meso-America. It is cultural appropriation, fyi.
It becomes bothersome to be aware of those in a position of power to continue this subtle oppression. Yes, wearing a “tribal” print dress may point out to be less appropriative because it is the fashion of today — but ask any indigenous individual how they feel about seeing their culture being worn on the backs of the people of power. Things like this are deep rooted in oppression, and for people of color, culture is all that we have left. It’s the one thing that hasn’t been taken from us. When you’re in a position of power, picking and choosing what seems “cute” from our culture to make you feel more cultured is the biggest spit to the face, as you’re mirroring the attempted extermination, assimilation, rape and pillaging of cultures like mine all around the world by those who felt their pale skin was superior, and our culture was savage like. Don’t be like them. Educate yourself, and don’t be oppressive.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Fashion Articles
Recent SF State News Articles
RECENT SF STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP SF STATE NEWS
MOST POPULAR SF STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy for Jewish Religion-CaliforniaAcademy for Salon ProfessionalsAcademy of Art UniversityAcademy of Esthetics and CosmetologyAdvance Beauty CollegeAdvance Beauty Techs AcademyAdvanced Career InstituteAdvanced CollegeAdvanced Computing InstituteAlhambra Beauty CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeAlliant International UniversityAlliant International University-FresnoAlliant International University-IrvineAlliant International University-Los AngelesAlliant International University-SacramentoAlliant International University-San DiegoAlliant International University-San FranciscoAllied American UniversityAmerican Baptist Seminary of the WestAmerican Beauty CollegeAmerican Career College at St FrancisAmerican Career College-AnaheimAmerican Career College-Long BeachAmerican Career College-Los AngelesAmerican Career College-OntarioAmerican College of HealthcareAmerican College of Traditional Chinese MedicineAmerican Conservatory TheaterAmerican Institute of Massage TherapyAmerican Intercontinental UniversityAmerican Jewish UniversityAmerican Medical Sciences CenterAmerican River College Angeles InstituteAnnenberg School of NursingAntelope Valley CollegeAntioch University-Los AngelesArgosy UniversityArgosy University-San DiegoArt Center College of DesignAshdown College of Health SciencesAsher CollegeAsian American International Beauty CollegeAssociated Technical College-Los AngelesATEP at IVCATI College-NorwalkAvance Beauty CollegeAveda Institute-Los AngelesAzusa Pacific UniversityBakersfield CollegeBaldwin Park Adult & Community EducationBarstow Community College DistrictBay Area Medical AcademyBay Area Medical Academy - San Jose Satellite LocationBeaumont Adult SchoolBellus Academy-El CajonBellus Academy-National CityBellus Academy-PowayBerkeley City College Bethany UniversityBethel Seminary-San DiegoBethesda UniversityBeyond 21st Century Beauty AcademyBiola UniversityBlake Austin CollegeBlake Austin College Beauty AcademyBrand CollegeBrooks Institute of PhotographyButte CollegeCabrillo CollegeCal PolyCal Poly PomonaCalifornia Baptist UniversityCalifornia Beauty SchoolCalifornia Career CollegeCalifornia Career InstituteCalifornia Christian CollegeCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia College San DiegoCalifornia Culinary AcademyCalifornia Hair Design AcademyCalifornia Healing Arts CollegeCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCalifornia Miramar UniversityCalifornia Nurses Educational InstituteCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Channel IslandsCalifornia State University Monterey BayCalifornia State University-BakersfieldCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-StanislausCalifornia Western School of LawCambridge Junior College-WoodlandCambridge Junior College-Yuba CityCanada CollegeCareer Academy of BeautyCareer Care InstituteCareer College of CaliforniaCareer Development Institute IncCareer Networks InstituteCarrington College-Citrus HeightsCarrington College-PomonaCarrington College-SacramentoCarrington College-San JoseCarrington College-San LeandroCasa Loma College-Anaheim CampusCasa Loma College-Van NuysCentral California SchoolCentral Coast CollegeCerritos CollegeCerro Coso Community CollegeCES CollegeCET-CoachellaCET-El CentroCET-OxnardCET-SacramentoCET-San BernardinoCET-San DiegoCET-Santa MariaCET-SobratoCET-SoledadCET-WatsonvilleChabot CollegeChapman UniversityCharles A Jones Career and Education CenterCharles R Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCharter College-Canyon CountryChurch Divinity School of the PacificCinta Aveda InstituteCitrus CollegeCity College of San FranciscoClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont School of TheologyClovis Adult EducationCoachella Valley Beauty CollegeCoachella Valley Beauty College-BeaumontCoast Career InstituteCoast Community College DistrictCoastline Beauty CollegeCoastline Community College Cogswell CollegeColeman UniversityCollege of Alameda College of MarinCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousCollege of the CanyonsCollege of the DesertCollege of the RedwoodsCollege of the SequoiasCollege of the Siskiyous Colton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational ProgramColumbia College-HollywoodComputer Training AcademyComputer Tutor Business and Technical InstituteConcorde Career College-Garden GroveConcorde Career College-North HollywoodConcorde Career College-San BernardinoConcorde Career College-San DiegoConcordia University IrvineContra Costa College Contra Costa Community College DistrictCopper Mountain Community CollegeCosmo Beauty AcademyCosmo Factory Cosmetology AcademyCosumnes River College Crafton Hills CollegeCRU InstituteCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoCSU San MarcosCuesta CollegeCuyamaca College Cypress CollegeDe Anza CollegeDesign Institute of San DiegoDiablo Valley CollegeDiamond Beauty CollegeDominican School of Philosophy & TheologyDominican University of CaliforniaDongguk University-Los AngelesDowney Adult SchoolEast Los Angeles CollegeEl Camino College-Compton Community Ed CenterElite Cosmetology SchoolEverest College-AlhambraEverest College-AnaheimEverest College-City of IndustryEverest College-GardenaEverest College-ResedaEverest College-West Los AngelesEvergreen Valley College Ex-Pression College for Digital ArtsFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Orange CountyFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San DiegoFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San FranciscoFeather River CollegeFederico Beauty InstituteFielding Graduate UniversityFive Branches UniversityFlair Beauty CollegeFolsom Lake CollegeFoothill CollegeFour-D CollegeFranciscan School of TheologyFredrick and Charles Beauty CollegeFremont CollegeFresno City College Fresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryFullerton CollegeGalaxy Medical CollegeGavilan CollegeGemological Institute of America-CarlsbadGlendale Community College (CA)Golden Gate UniversityGolden Gate University-Los AngelesGolden Gate University-Silicon ValleyGolden State College of Court ReportingGrace Mission UniversityGraduate Theological UnionGrossmont CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeGurnick Academy of Medical ArtsHacienda La Puente Adult EducationHair California Beauty AcademyHeald College-ConcordHeald College-ModestoHeald College-RosevilleHeald College-SalinasHeald College-San JoseHeald College-StocktonHigh Desert Medical CollegeHilltop Beauty SchoolHinton Barber CollegeHoly Names UniversityHomestead SchoolsHorizon UniversityHumboldt State UniversityHumphreys College-ModestoHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto CampusesHypnosis Motivation InstituteImperial Valley CollegeInfoTech Career CollegeInstitute for Business and TechnologyInstitute of Technology IncIntegrity College of HealthInterCoast Colleges-BurbankInterCoast Colleges-CarsonInterCoast Colleges-Elk GroveInterCoast Colleges-FairfieldInterCoast Colleges-OrangeInterCoast Colleges-RosevilleInterior Designers InstituteInternational College of CosmetologyInternational Culinary Center-CaliforniaInternational Polytechnic InstituteInternational School of Beauty IncInternational Technological UniversityIrvine Valley CollegeITT Technical Institute-ConcordITT Technical Institute-CoronaITT Technical Institute-Culver CityITT Technical Institute-LathropITT Technical Institute-OaklandITT Technical Institute-OxnardITT Technical Institute-Rancho CordovaITT Technical Institute-San DimasITT Technical Institute-SylmarITT Technical Institute-TorranceJohn F Kennedy UniversityJohn Wesley International Barber and Beauty CollegeKaplan College-BakersfieldKaplan College-ModestoKaplan College-North HollywoodKaplan College-Palm SpringsKaplan College-RiversideKaplan College-SacramentoKaplan College-VistaLa Sierra UniversityLaguna College of Art and DesignLaney College Las Positas CollegeLassen Community CollegeLawrence & Company College of CosmetologyLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-PasadenaLeMelange Academy of HairLife Chiropractic College WestLife Pacific CollegeLincoln UniversityLoma Linda UniversityLong Beach City College Los Angeles CenterLos Angeles City CollegeLos Angeles College of MusicLos Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied HealthLos Angeles Harbor College Los Angeles Mission College Los Angeles ORT College-Los Angeles CampusLos Angeles ORT College-Van Nuys CampusLos Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLoyola Marymount UniversityLu Ross AcademyLyles Bakersfield College of BeautyLyles Fresno College of BeautyMadera Beauty CollegeMake-up DesignoryManchester Beauty CollegeMarinello School of Beauty-BakersfieldMarinello School of Beauty-Castro ValleyMarinello School of Beauty-ChicoMarinello School of Beauty-FresnoMarinello School of Beauty-HaywardMarinello School of Beauty-MurrietaMarinello School of Beauty-NapaMarinello School of Beauty-PalmdaleMarinello School of Beauty-ReddingMarinello School of Beauty-ResedaMarinello School of Beauty-San BernardinoMarinello School of Beauty-San MateoMarinello School of Beauty-San RafaelMarinello School of Beauty-StocktonMarinello School of Beauty-WhittierMarinello Schools of Beauty-BellMarinello Schools of Beauty-City of IndustryMarinello Schools of Beauty-HemetMarinello Schools of Beauty-Huntington BeachMarinello Schools of Beauty-Lake ForestMarinello Schools of Beauty-LomitaMarinello Schools of Beauty-Los AngelesMarinello Schools of Beauty-Moreno ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-ParamountMarinello Schools of Beauty-Santa ClaraMarinello Schools of Beauty-Simi ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-VictorvilleMarinello Schools of Beauty-VisaliaMarshall B Ketchum UniversityMarymount California UniversityMarymount University - Waterfront CampusMayfield CollegeMediaTech Institute-OceansideMedical Allied Career CenterMendocino CollegeMenlo CollegeMerced CollegeMerritt CollegeMiami Ad School-San FranciscoMilan Institute of Cosmetology-FairfieldMilan Institute of Cosmetology-VisaliaMilan Institute-MercedMilan Institute-Palm DesertMills CollegeMira Costa CollegeMission CollegeModern Technology SchoolModesto Junior CollegeMoler Barber CollegeMonterey Institute of International StudiesMonterey Peninsula CollegeMoorpark College Mount St Mary's CollegeMt San Antonio College Mt. San Jacinto CollegeMusicians InstituteNational UniversityNaval Postgraduate SchoolNewSchool of Architecture + DesignNorth Orange County Community College DistrictNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOccidental CollegeOhlone CollegeOrange Coast College Otis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePacific Union CollegePalo Verde College Palomar CollegePasadena City CollegePepperdine UniversityPeralta CollegePierce CollegePitzer CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversityPomona CollegePorterville College Reedley College Rio Hondo College Riverside Community CollegeSacramento City College Saddleback CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSamuel Merritt CollegeSan Diego City CollegeSan Diego Community College DistrictSan Diego Mesa College San Diego Miramar College San Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Joaquin Delta College San Jose City College San Jose State UniversitySan Jose-Evergreen Community College DistrictSanta Barbara City CollegeSanta Clara UniversitySanta Monica CollegeScripps CollegeScripps Research InstituteShasta CollegeSierra CollegeSimpson UniversitySkyline College Solano Community College Sonoma State UniversitySouth Orange County Community College DistrictSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureStanford UniversityState Center Community College DistrictTaft College The Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryThe Wright InstituteUC BerkeleyUC DavisUC Hastings College of the LawUC IrvineUC MercedUC RiversideUC San DiegoUC San FranciscoUC Santa BarbaraUC Santa CruzUCLAUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoUniversity of the PacificUSCVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaVentura CollegeVentura County Community College DistrictVictor Valley CollegeWest Hills Community College DistrictWest Hills Community College- CoalingaWest Hills Community College-LemooreWest Los Angeles College West Valley CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWestmont CollegeWhittier CollegeWoodbury UniversityWoodland Community College World Mission UniversityYosemite Community College DistrictYuba College
- By State
- By City